Azure and Office 365Unable to verify custom domain in Office 365?
Domain verification in Office 365 is a very simple task, you just need to add a custom domain, add the TXT or MX record by provided by your tenant with your domain registrar and then verify it.
However, sometime you might face issues verifying a domain and end up getting an error like “
When you are unable to verify your domain through Office 365, you can also try adding domain from Azure Active Directory.
Basically, If you already manage a tenant with Azure services or Office 365, you cannot add a custom domain name if it is already verified in another Azure AD tenant. What we can do over here is to use the ForceTakeover option with Azure AD PowerShell.
- Connect to Microsoft online services.
2. Get the domain list currently associated with your O365 tenant.
3. Add the domain which you want to verify and after adding that domain, you can see the status and it will be in the ‘unverified’ stage.
4. Now, you have to get the DNS TXT record for the domain, you need to add the TXT record in your domain registrar. Verification sometimes might now happen immediately because it takes time for the record to propagate.
5. Add the -ForceTakeover needs to be added to the cmdlet only when .forcing an external admin takeover. This method can be used at last after you have tried each method for verifying your domain but still can’t verify it.
6. Once you run the -ForceTakeover cmdlet, the status of the domain will get verified.