Dynamics NAVUpgradation of Data from NAV 2016 to NAV 2017 in Microsoft Dynamics NAV
To upgrade the database to NAV 2017, following steps must be completed.
- Convert the Database
- Upgrade the Application code
- Upgrade the Data
This blog describes the steps to Upgrade the Data.
- A FOB file that contains the upgraded application code and upgrade toolkit.
- All application objects in the old database have been built.
- The database schema has been synchronized in the old application.
- All application objects are unlocked.
- All Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server instance records have been cleared from the dbo.Server Instance table in the old database in SQL Server.
- Updated permission sets permissions XML files.
- Windows Poweshell
- Sql Server Management Service(SSMS)
The first seven steps are completed in the ‘Converting the database from NAV 2016 to NAV 2017’.
- SQL Backup
- Upload 2017 Licence
- Delete all objects from the old version database i.e NAV 2016
- Uninstall NAV 2016 and install NAV 2017
- Convert the NAV 2016 Database
- Connect to the server instance
- Run the Schema synchronization
- Importing the application objects:
- Import the all merged file (.fob) created in the upgrade of the application code.
- The system will prompt to open worksheet
- Click on Replace All then click on OK.
- Now import the upgrade code. This upgrade code is located in the NAV DVD in the Upgrade Toolkit folder NAV DVD > UpgradeToolkit >Data conversion Tool
- Import the Upgrade9001000.FOB file for upgrade from NAV 2016 to NAV 2017.
- Here 17 objects are imported.
- Run the Schema Synchronization:
- Open the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2017 Development Environment, navigate to Tools menu then click on Sync. Schema For All Tables > With Validation.
- This will pop up a dialogue box, click on Yes.
If Sync.Schema with validation pops up an errors like below ‘There is already an object named ‘CRONUS International Ltd.-$UPG Item Category’ in the database follow the below steps:
- Launch SSMS(SQL Server Management Studio), expand the Database converted
- Select the table and run the query to drop it
- Run the Data Upgrade Process
- Open the NAV 2017 Development Environment as Administrator.
- Navigate to Tools tab > Data Upgrade > Start.
This will pop up a dialogue box, click on yes.
- Select the Execution mode as parallel, enable show progress and click on OK.
- To view the error, Open Windows Powershell as Administrator, enter the below command
- The codeunit will pop up errors which needs to be fixed. Once the error is fixed compile all objects then run the Data upgrade process step no 10
- This process will continue until all the errors are fixed.
If there are any errors you may get an error dialogue box.
Get-NAVDataUpgrade serverinstancename -Erroronly
Get-NAVDataUpgrade Upgrade -Erroronly
The above error is shown in the Codeunit 104075,compile the codeunit.
The data upgrade process is completed without any errors.
- Delete the upgraded objects
- After the upgrade is completed, delete the upgraded objects imported from the Upgrade Toolkit.
- Filter the upgrade objects by their version list.
- Select all the upgrade objects and click on Delete
- Set the Synchronization schema to Force and click on OK
- After Deletion, compile all objects.
- Import upgraded permission set and permissions.
- Open the NAV 2017 Development Environment, open the NAV 2017 database ‘Demo Database (10-0).
- Navigate to XMLport 9171 Import/Export Permission Sets and click on Run
- Choose Export option and click on OK and save the file.
- Repeat the same procedure for XMLport 9172 Import/Export Permissions
- Now open the Upgraded database in NAV 2017, navigate to page 9802 Permission Sets and click on Run.
- Delete all permission sets except Super permission.
- Run XMLport 9171 to import permission sets, select the Import option then OK
- Select the permission sets exported then click on OK.
- Run the Page 9802 Permission Sets, all the permission set are imported.
- Repeat the same for XMLport 9172, import the permissions.
- Set the language of the upgraded database.
Navigate to Tools select the language required then on OK.
- Add Control Add-ins
Browse in the search bar to Control Add-ins to verify the below control Add-ins are present.
- Import Payment Service and Data Encryption Key (optional).
If we have used payment service in our old database then we need to re-set up payment service in NAV 2017 by importing the key.
- Browse to Payment service Connection set up in the search bar
- Click on Upload Key to upload the encrypted key. This key was downloaded in the previous version using the Download key.
- To import key for Data Encryption Management, browse to Data Encryption Management in the search bar.
- Click on Enable Encryption to enable the encryption and import the key using Import Encryption Key. Before importing the key needs to be exported from NAV 2016.
After the Upgradation of the Data, the upgradation of NAV 2016 to NAV 2017 is successfully completed.